Please consider joining Team OYOU by volunteering your time! Our volunteers are the cornerstone in which the rest of our organization is built. Giving to others can also help protect your mental and physical health. It can reduce stress, combat depression, keep you mentally stimulated, and provide a sense of purpose. Volunteering allows you to connect to your community and make it a better place. Dedicating your time as a volunteer also helps you make new friends, expand your social network, and boost your social skills. Please review our events and check out dates for the opportunities you’re interested in. While some opportunities allow you to arrive and depart anytime, many of our events are project based and require specific dates of commitment.
Volunteer opportunities include community service and outreach to children and seniors. Own Your Own Universe (OYOU) is a 501 C3 non-profit organization based out of San Marcos and Martindale, Texas. It is our mission to make the arts accessible to everyone, and particularly to empower and transform lives by connecting the mind, body, and spirit through music and the creative arts.
Please tell us a little about yourself and your interests in joining Team OYOU as a volunteer. We will then add you to our email list and volunteer list (we do not spam).
We are currently seeking volunteers for the following:
Set up for workshops @ Wilory Farm
Snowbird Concert Series Assistance (set up, clean up, part of the team)
Tammi Fest 2023 (set up, clean up, part of the team)
Social Media Assistance
We have a Wildlife Exemption! Wilory Farm is on 12 acres. We are in need of folks that know trees, native grasses, wildflowers, and all things about nature! We'd like to use this property as a green space to inspire folks of all ages. So, if you are a gardener or have an interest in land stewardship, please contact us!
Our group provides some human spirit support to those residents at Brookdale Senior Center who don't have family who are supporting them in this way. When someone signs up, we assign them a resident and give them the resident's name and the Brookdale address where the resident is located. We ask that you send them 2 letters, cards, or notes a month. Right now, we have a list of 20 residents who would love to get some friendly correspondence. They are in need of attention and support.
1. Tell a running record (a little bit of information in each letter/card) about your background, your family, friends, pets, hobbies, interests, your work history, travel, family traditions, favorite movies, shows, music etc.
2. Send a card with a favorite quote, poem, bookmark, photo of pet, or flowers in your garden with a note that says - "thought you might like this quote - it's one of my favorites" , "took this photo of my flowers in bloom", -or something like that. It can be very short.
3. Send a page from an activity book (maybe large print) - a crossword puzzle, word search, even dot-to-dot (the activity director said the residents love doing dot-to-dots")
4. Send an interesting article, funny story, or photo from a magazine, or printed from internet. (you could write something like "here's a funny story I read - thought you might enjoy it!")
5. Send a holiday greeting card - Falll, Halloween, Thanksgiving , Christmas, New Year's , birthday)
Brookdale Buddies Jam
We take small music groups to go play for the residents at Brookdale, in their nice courtyard.
Update from Jeanne Ply
Key Volunteer for Brookdale Buddies
"The Brookdale Buddies Pen Pal group has had a great start! We have 20 OYOU Volunteers sending cards, letters, or holiday greetings/small gifts several times per month to residents of the Brookdale South Senior Center in San Marcos. Some of the residents are able to write back, or respond with a phone call. One resident responded to his pen pal by saying "keep those cards and letters coming!" Friendships are being formed and spirits are being lifted both for the volunteers and for the residents!"