Please consider joining Team OYOU by volunteering your time! Our volunteers are the cornerstone in which the rest of our organization is built. Giving to others can also help protect your mental and physical health. It can reduce stress, combat depression, keep you mentally stimulated, and provide a sense of purpose. Volunteering allows you to connect to your community and make it a better place. Dedicating your time as a volunteer also helps you make new friends, expand your social network, and boost your social skills. Please review our events and check out dates for the opportunities you’re interested in. While some opportunities allow you to arrive and depart anytime, many of our events are project based and require specific dates of commitment.
Volunteer opportunities include community service and outreach to children and seniors. Own Your Own Universe (OYOU) is a 501 C3 non-profit organization based out of San Marcos and Martindale, Texas. It is our mission to make the arts accessible to everyone, and particularly to empower and transform lives by connecting the mind, body, and spirit through music and the creative arts.
Please tell us a little about yourself and your interests in joining Team OYOU as a volunteer. We will then add you to our email list and volunteer list (we do not spam).
Our group provides some human spirit support to those residents at Brookdale Senior Center who don't have family who are supporting them in this way. When someone signs up, we assign them a resident and give them the resident's name and the Brookdale address where the resident is located. We ask that you send them 2 letters, cards, or notes a month. Right now, we have a list of 20 residents who would love to get some friendly correspondence. They are in need of attention and support.
1. Tell a running record (a little bit of information in each letter/card) about your background, your family, friends, pets, hobbies, interests, your work history, travel, family traditions, favorite movies, shows, music etc.
2. Send a card with a favorite quote, poem, bookmark, photo of pet, or flowers in your garden with a note that says - "thought you might like this quote - it's one of my favorites" , "took this photo of my flowers in bloom", -or something like that. It can be very short.
3. Send a page from an activity book (maybe large print) - a crossword puzzle, word search, even dot-to-dot (the activity director said the residents love doing dot-to-dots")
4. Send an interesting article, funny story, or photo from a magazine, or printed from internet. (you could write something like "here's a funny story I read - thought you might enjoy it!")
5. Send a holiday greeting card - Falll, Halloween, Thanksgiving , Christmas, New Year's , birthday)
Brookdale Buddies Jam
Our hope is that in the future, we can take small music groups to go play for the residents again. Brookdale has a nice courtyard, so as soon as its safe to do so, we will return there to entertain the residents.
Free songwriting, creative writing, music business, and music workshops for veterans.
The OYOU has teamed up with The Bugle Boy to provide complimentary workshops to veterans online. Workshops with the "Bugle Boy" by them are free for veterans.
(Free Program – All Levels)
Creative Outlet for Those that Serve
Coming together, writing songs and playing guitar brings healing and camaraderie to many area Veterans & military personnel.
“I got my hand injured, and thought I would never even play guitar again, and then things started coming together, Suddenly I am meeting famous song writers, and they are saying that I can write. The VA repaired my hand, and now thanks to all this coming together, through God and Soldiers Songs I have written about forty songs, and performed a few live on stage.”
- Rick Schultze, USA
As the La Grange, TX chapter of Soldier Songs & Voices, The Bugle Boy Foundation invites Veterans (anyone who served in any branch of the military at any time, including National Guard and Reserves) and active duty military personnel to participate in our FREE Guitar/Songwriting workshops led by professional musicians. All levels from beginners to experienced are welcome to gather and share their music.